For many of those who struggle with weight problems, the challenge is not limited solely to what one eats; rather, it is also a matter of how much one eats. Abundance is a mixed blessing in these United States, as prosperity brings with it a set of problems unique unto themselves. Scarcity is certainly an aspect of the human condition with which countless a preceding generation struggled mightily.
The wealth of food options we now enjoy is an inheritance of sorts, earned slowly across centuries of mastering the soil and its bounty…while developing a few food storage measures for good measure. The result? Too much of everything and a largely undiscriminating sense of desire to savor it all, each and every bite. It now falls to the individual to adopt a mentality of supreme self-discipline in order that our inherited bounty might not get the better of our health and figure.
In that spirit, and to be of assistance on the journey through the fields of abundance, herein is a list of 10 products to help with portion control.
- Nutrition Scale—Many of the world’s foremost athletes are known to weigh their food in order to maintain a particular body mass index and overall body weight. A kitchen scale is a handy means by which to follow suit.
- Meal Sizing Plates—Portion control plates are useful and simple to employ at the dinner table. These devices allow for a concise assessment of one’s meal intake from a serving size perspective, thus their placement within the vetted list of 10 products to help with control portion control.
- Portion Control Bowls—Much like their plate counterparts, these items allow for a responsible pouring of one’s soup or cereal, both of which might otherwise lend themselves to overly generous serving sizes. Keep a set handy in the kitchen.
- Menu Planner—The best means by which to maintain advance accountability, menu planners allow for one to stay in front of meals. Chart out the week’s food intake by weight, by calorie count, and by overall nutritional value. Whether part of a larger portion control effort or standing alone, a menu planner is simply essential.
- Measuring Glasses—Wine, though beloved for its taste and elegance by many, is a renowned contributor to many a person’s weight gain. This reality is a fixture within the historical record. A glass which allows for one to gauge their fluid intake by the ounce might introduce an element of accountability to this storied burden.
- Measuring Serving Spoons—An extension of their baking counterparts, these handy serving implements provide a bit of clarity to what has traditionally been a domestic guessing game.
- Portioned Sauce Dispenser—The administering of sauces has long been more of an art than a science. A portion-specific dispenser will go a long way towards combining the two.
- Batter Measured—Pancake pouring, that time-honored tradition, is now manageable by way of an implement which very much belongs on the list of 10 products to help with portion control.
- Portion Control Plate Top—A lid over the plate to closely evaluate your serving size. Less precise than some measures, but will prevent the meal from reaching one’s ceiling…if used correctly, that is.
- Portable and Portioned Snack Carrier—Taking a drive or planning for a long day in the office? Keep your snacks in check with a portioned receptacle.
Accountability to oneself is of paramount importance when attempting to control one’s health via dieting measures. For those more inclined towards a calculated approach to such matters, a host of portion control measures are available to achieve that very end. And for those less inclined towards so precise an approach, incorporating at least a couple of these into one’s way of life may well yield tremendous dividends. None listed are prohibitively complicated, while all are crafted with sustainable wellness and dietary responsibility in mind.
Take your pick and welcome the results. At very worst, you will come away with a much clearer sense as to how much you tend to consume in an unmeasured capacity. Knowledge of that sort is nothing short of invaluable for those seeking a healthier way of life, particularly when that healthier alternative hinges upon responsible approaches to one’s diet.
Leave a Reply