Do you want to do everything you can to support your well-being so you can live a long and healthy life? If the answer is yes, which it should be, then you may want to check out the Paleo diet. What is the Paleo diet? Basically, the whole purpose of this lifestyle is to embrace whole foods and eliminate anything that could cause inflammation. The basis of Paleo, or the caveman diet, is to eliminate modern health issues like obesity, heart disease and diabetes by eating like our early ancestors did – foods that can be hunted or gathered and eliminating sugar, fat and processed foods.
Several studies of different modern diets have shown that following a Paleo diet can lead to significant weight loss and major improvements in your overall health. Although dieting on its own can lead to weight loss, we would always recommend you follow a regular moderate exercise regime.
Getting Started with Paleo
It’s very difficult to know for sure what our early ancestors ate, but since they didn’t have access to modern grocery stores the way we do it’s safe to assume they thrived on what was available and what they could hunt or gather. Those who follow this diet consume meat, fish, eggs, fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, spices, herbs and healthy fats and oils like coconut and olive oil. You will need to avoid highly processed foods, sugar, soft drinks, grains, most dairy products, artificial sweeteners, margarine, legumes and trans fats.
Why You Should Go Paleo
There are numerous fad diets that gain popularity that are not always good for you. We like the Paleo diet because it’s easy to follow, and while it will help you lose weight it’s more about finding nourishing alternatives, exploring new ingredients and eating in a way that’s not only delicious, but really supports and improves your overall health and well-being. Here are a few other reasons why Paleo is a great diet to try out:
- Paleo encourages you to eat the healthiest and freshest foods. A Paleo meal can be something as simple as a piece of fish pan friend with spices and served with colorful, seasonal veggies.
- When you cut out processed foods, gluten, dairy, sugar and grains, you can boost your memory, focus and your energy levels.
- Paleo helps eliminate foods that cause inflammation in your body. Ingredients like excess sugar have been shown to lead to chronic diseases like diabetes, obesity and heart disease. When you go Paleo, you eliminate these harmful ingredients and replace them with whole foods that are good for you.
- When you eat Paleo, you will also eat high quality, local foods. A Paleo diet is made up of delicious, organic, true farm-to-table foods that you can find at your local farmer’s market.
- It’s good for your brain. Did you know that inflammatory foods like sugar and trans-fat is linked to very serious illnesses like Alzheimer’s? The Paleo diet is rich in anti-inflammatory foods like fish, fruits and veggies that are proven to promote mental health and cognitive function.
- It’s more than just a diet. The beauty of the Paleo way of life is that what starts out as a diet will quickly become a way of life.
Following the Paleo diet is very simple, and you probably already have many ingredients in your refrigerator and pantry that are Paleo friendly. What’s also great about Paleo is that many of your favorite meals are probably Paleo friendly and you didn’t even know it. Here are some sample Paleo meals to consider as you get started:
- Breakfast can consist of bacon and eggs with some fruit, or a veggie omelet fried in coconut oil.
- Lunch can be a chicken salad, lettuce wraps with ground beef, fresh vegetables with a protein or scrambled eggs with vegetables.
- Dinner can be a burger (without the bun), salmon with a side of veggies, steak with sweet potatoes, grilled chicken with veggies or a beef stir-fry.
- For dessert or a snack, you can enjoy a handful of nuts, berries or a piece of fruit.
We are strong supporters of our clients living an overall healthy lifestyle, complete with a sustainable diet and a moderate exercise routine. If you are looking to jump start your weight loss goals then check out our weight loss program, our supplements and our weight loss injections that are specifically designed to support healing, stamina and weight loss. We look forward to helping you begin your journey to a healthier and confident new you!