Staying hydrated is crucial for your overall health and well-being, and it is also considered to be a very important aspect of fitness. More than sixty percent of the human body is made up water and blood is ninety percent water. When you work out you lose water through perspiration, which makes it very important to drink water before, during and after you finish a work out. When a human drinks a glass of water, and makes sure to stay hydrated throughout the day, there are numerous organs and body functions that are supported.
Why is Water Important?
Water is essential for kidney and other bodily functions, which makes it essential to human health. When you get dehydrated, your skin also becomes more vulnerable to skin disorders, including wrinkling. Here are just a few vital functions that are supported when a human drinks a glass of water:
- Lubricates your joints. The cartilage that is found in joints and in the disks of the spine contain 80 percent water, if you get dehydrated you reduce the shock-absorbing ability of the joints, which can be very painful.
- Creates saliva and mucus. Saliva is what helps to digest food and keeps your mouth, nose and ears moist. Drinking water instead of sweet juices or soda can also keep your mouth clean and reduce tooth decay.
- Keeps your brain healthy. If you get dehydrated it will affect your brain structure and function. Prolonged dehydration can lead to issues with hormone production, thinking and reasoning.
- Regulates body temperature. When you are working out, water in the form of sweat comes to the surface of the body, evaporates and cools you off. Additionally, consuming enough water can protect you from heat stroke as well as heat stress during exercise.
- Regulates your digestive system. Dehydration increases the risk of heartburn, constipation and stomach ulcers. When you consume water, your bowels will work properly and flush out body waste.
- Clears your skin. You can’t magically reverse the aging process by drinking water, however if you consume a steady supply then it will improve the overall appearance of your skin. As toxins are flushed out of your body, inflammation is reduced and skin issues like acne, redness, dullness or dryness can improve.
- Helps with weight loss. Drinking water instead of sugary drinks helps with weight loss. If you drink a cold glass of water before a meal, it can also prevent overeating by making you feel full faster. Our A New Me weight loss program encourages participants to stay active, consume a low-calorie diet and stay hydrated in order to reach their fitness and health goals without sacrificing well-being.
How Much Should You Drink
It is commonly recommended that adults drink eight 8-ounce glasses of water per day. The daily recommendation can vary from person to person based on age, weight, activity level and the climate of the area you live in. For example, eight glasses of water a day are not nearly enough to stay hydrated on a day when the outside temperature is over 100 degrees. Statistics say that on any given day a person can lose up to 64 ounces of water through perspiration alone, so when figuring out how much you should be drinking think about at least replacing what you are losing!
Tracking Fluid Intake
How are you supposed to keep track of how much water you drink throughout the day? If you’re not a big water drinker, then it may be difficult to remember to consume enough throughout the day. In this day and age there are plenty of phone applications that you can download that will send you reminders to drink a glass of water. There are also “smart” water bottles that flash and remind you to drink water and refill the bottle. After a couple of days of drinking enough water you will see that your body will get used to it and it will become part of your daily routine to drink without even thinking about it.
As you can see, there are numerous benefits of drinking water, and many functions that are supported. Drinking water should be a main component of your weight loss program, combined with a healthy diet and structured fitness regimen. We recommend that your start your day off with a glass of water each morning before breakfast to help jump start your mind and your body. Carrying a reusable water bottle with you will also ensure that you stay hydrated no matter where you are going or what you are doing. While your new habit may mean you run to the restroom more often, you will be happier, healthier and feel better in the long run.