Every person wants to be the best version of themselves that they can possibly be, this includes being at a healthy weight and feeling happy and comfortable in their own body. Obesity and being overweight contribute to a myriad of health issues that can lead to serious complications if not treated. We all know how important it is to be physically active and to consume a healthy, balanced diet. But if you are looking into nutrition for weight loss, do you know what foods you need to eat in order to meet your goals?
The basic guidelines for a healthy diet and good nutrition for weight loss include:
- Reducing the number of calories that are included in your daily diet
- Consuming smaller portions
- Being aware of recommended serving sizes
- Keeping track of the nutritional content of the foods that you consume
- Educating yourself on various methods of food prep for a healthy diet
- Selecting nutritious meals that are low in fat
Individuals who slowly, but consistently reduce their calorie consumption over time will be most successful in maintaining their weight loss. Steady, controlled progress that includes regular physical activity, a healthy diet and assistance from a good weight loss program is more effective than any crash diet you will ever come across. The best diet is one that works for your whole body – from your brain to your toes. This means that you need to select foods that fuel your muscles and your brain so you can remain focused, and so that you can continue this healthy lifestyle even after you have achieved your weight loss goals. In other words, a good diet is one that is comprised of healthy food that tastes good and that you enjoy – one that is easy to follow, doesn’t banish too many items and doesn’t require an expensive amount of groceries and supplements. Here are the common guidelines for good nutrition for weight loss:
- Include several servings of fresh fruits and vegetables daily
- Eat whole grain breads and cereals to fuel your body
- Look for healthy fats from foods like avocado, nuts, seeds and olive oil
- Enjoy lean protein from fish, beans and poultry
- Strictly limit your intake of red meat
- Keep your alcohol consumption low
- Stay away from refined sugar and saturated fats
- Drink water!
Research also shows that there are certain foods that are more beneficial for weight loss than others. These are foods that are typically included in a healthy, balanced diet, but they are also especially helpful for weight management:
- Eggs are an extremely popular food, especially for breakfast and they can promote weight loss. Eggs provide a good amount of protein, which can help you feel satisfied for a longer period of time.
- Enjoying a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast will help you feel fuller and less hungry than eating a bowl of sugary cereal. Oatmeal is a significant source of protein and fiber, a powerful combination to kick off your day.
- Nuts contain protein and fiber as well as heart-healthy fats and other beneficial nutrients, which make them a wonderful snack when you feel hungry. One thing to remember is nuts can be high in calories, so it’s important to limit your portions and keep track of your consumption.
- Berries are considered a valuable superfood and they provide a wide range of benefits and antioxidants that are good for you. Berries are also high in fiber, which is linked to great weight management.
- Cruciferous vegetables like cauliflower, cabbage, broccoli and brussels sprouts also contain a lot of fiber that is helpful for weight loss. These vegetables will help you feel satisfied without adding much to your daily calorie count.
Losing weight by following a healthy, balanced and nutritious diet can significantly reduce your risk of weight-related health issues like diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and more. If you already suffer from these conditions, then you can dramatically improve your health by changing your eating habits, increasing your physical activity and losing weight. A healthy lifestyle is meant to be positive, sustainable and even enjoyable – the whole purpose is so you can live a happier, healthier life for a long period of time and so you can look and feel your best. For more information about living a healthy lifestyle or to learn about our weight loss services and how they can benefit you, please contact us. We look forward to hearing from you!