By now the science is clear – eating the right foods and following a balanced diet can lead to a longer, healthier and happier life. If you want to live a long and healthy life it’s important to educate yourself on what good nutrition means, what the unique needs of your body are and take your likes and dislikes into consideration. It’s important to understand that just because someone told you that kale is healthy doesn’t necessarily mean you have to eat kale every single day in order to be a healthy person. You can very easily lead a healthy, balanced life without ever incorporating a piece of kale into your diet. Nutrition for life is based around foods that you enjoy and can eat on a regular basis – it won’t do you any good if you eat clean for a whole week only to eat double cheeseburgers every weekend.
The foods that you eat have a direct impact on your health and well-being – some foods promote good focus and energy; others assist in your cardiovascular health and some help to boost your immune function. Other foods, on the other hand, are known to accelerate the deterioration of your body and leave your vulnerable to disease. Whole, natural foods can increase your lifespan and boost your overall health, while processed foods can make you feel sluggish and affect the overall function of your body.
Nutrition for Life
Healthy eating doesn’t have to be complicated – all you have to do is choose whole, minimally processed foods that will fuel your body. This includes fresh fruits and vegetables, nuts and seeds, fish and seafood, whole grains, vegetable oils, legumes and more. Good nutrition for life is all about returning to the basics and avoiding food additives, refined sugar and artificial flavors.
Tips to Enhance your Diet
It’s not easy to make a drastic lifestyle change, especially when it comes to diet. After all, most of our habits are ingrained in us from when we were children. The best way to work your way into a healthier lifestyle is to focus on small changes. We’ve collected some tips and tricks to take into consideration to help you make good decisions when it comes to nutrition and turn your diet around so you can feel and look better.
- Take a few days to evaluate your current diet and locate the weak points. Do you eat four to five cups of fruits and vegetables a day? Are you including whole grain and high-fiber foods in your meal planning? Are you getting enough vitamins and nutrients? The best way to do this is to keep track of your food intake by writing down what you eat and drink every day. This food diary will help you asses your diet so you can easily see what you need to eat more or less of.
- Consider working with a certified nutritionist who can help you determine what foods are best for your unique body type and they can help you put together a special diet customized around your needs and health concerns.
- Rather than frying the food that you are cooking, try to bake, grill or steam when appropriate. Different styles of cooking can help retain more nutrients, and with the right spices and flavor you’ll surely enjoy the meal you prepare for yourself.
- Read the nutrition labels on foods before you purchase them and learn to understand what they mean. If you need help with reading nutrition labels you can ask your doctor or dietitian for assistance.
- Eating out can be very dangerous to a healthy eating lifestyle. Be aware of hidden fats and larger portion sizes. While it’s ok to indulge every now and then, try to stick to your healthy habits even when you eat out.
- Make sure to stay hydrated at all times! Water is the best beverage of choice, but you can also look for flavored sparkling water or teas if you need some additional flavor. Try to stay away from sweetened drinks like sodas, sports drinks and fruit juices that just add a lot of sugar and calories to your diet.
There are various weight loss supplements and programs that we can recommend that will help you get on the road to a healthier lifestyle. However, they don’t provide a complete solution – you need to put in the work and commitment to your health in order to look and feel your best. Take the time to book an appointment online to learn more about our services and how we can help you on your weight loss journey.